THOUGHTS FOR THE ROAD....... LESS TRAVELED

Lessons learned for the Christian life.

Numbers- Not Just For Counting

  I am finding out that Numbers is not just a book of numbers. There is a lot more to it that taking the census of the tribes of Israel. It is full of rich stories of God's provision for His people. It seems to be that Israel may have had a learning disability of some kind. They complained, God provided, they went too far, people got swallowed up by the earth... or worse. The people of Israel were even provided for and protected when they had no idea it was going on.

   King Balak summoned Balaam to curse the people of Israel before they could conquer Moab. I haven't done a lot of studying on this, but I am eager to do so. After reading these chapters ( Numbers 22, 23, 24 ) It does not sounds like Balaam is one of God's prophets, I didn't even read anything that led me to think that Balaam even believed in God. He was a diviner. which I am pretty sure is some kind of hocus pocus stuff. But God spoke to Balaam and instead of cursing Israel, he blessed them 3 times!

   God's hand was on Israel, He provided for them. God still provides, my husband was laid off before Christmas, and has since found another job, but at  20,000 dollars less a year. That is a lot of money, and a lot of extra stuff has been cut out of our budget. But our needs are still met, and even some of our wants. It is easy to complain about the the loss of income, or because we can no longer afford whatever we want on a whim. It is easy to overlook God's provision of another job and complain that the salary isn't as much as we are used to. The hard part is trusting, and we are doing it in faith because we can look back over the last couple of years and see many times that God had His hand on us, protecting and providing. And I am certain there are times that we are not even aware of, just like with Balak, Balaam and the Isaelites.

3 comments:

My eyes kind of "glaze over" books like Numbers and Leviticus...I find it overwhelming at times because there is SO much history and backstory to wade through, I seem to never have the time. I feel bad because it's the Word of God and I shouldn't discount it...but it's hard, like Revelation-hard, lol! I'm glad you're brave enough to take it on! I know one day GOd will give me the grace to get through those books and even understand them!

2/16/11, 8:35 AM  
Anonymous said...

Lots of conflicting commentary on Balaam and whether he was a true believer or not. The most telling comments are from the New Testament in 2 Peter 2:15 and Jude 11 with depect him as a mad, wicked person. Also Revelation 2:14 speaks of him as one who enticed Israel to sin. I wonder if we'll see Balaam in Heaven? I won't hold my breath.

2/16/11, 10:07 AM  
Ken said...

Yes! The Lord provides for His children!

2/21/11, 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment