THOUGHTS FOR THE ROAD....... LESS TRAVELED

Lessons learned for the Christian life.

What is your FIGHT SONG

   For those of you wondering why I haven't posted anything in 8 days... well I got a little behind. When I say a little behind what I mean is that I didn't read the book of Joshua at all. I don't even know what happened, I guess those old quitter habits got the best of me again. I will make up Joshua but I started back this morning where I should be and that is Judges. It took me a few minutes to get back into the swing of not glazing over the words and letting the Holy Spirit speak to my heart while I read, but once I did it was a doozy.

   First of all, let me say that I am thrilled to pieces that there was at least one girl prophet/judge. Deborah struck me as the kind of girl who told it like it is. She told Barak to takes 10,000 fighting men from the tribes of Naphtali and Zebulun to face Sisera, the commander of the Canaanite kings army.

   O.K. so here is where it gets funny, Barak, a military chief <so, I read> who has an army of 10,000 men will not go out to fight unless Deborah  A GIRL!!!! goes with him. Deborah agrees to go but she tells Barak that he will not be honored for the victory- a woman will! I literally LOL'd at that part.

   So, just like Deborah said a girl gets the victory, in a rather gory way I might add, she hammers a tent peg through Sisera's head and into the ground.

   All this is awesome of course, but it wasn't until I was nearly finished with today's reading that God hit me over the head with today's insight.  Judges chapter 5. Deborah and Barak start singing a song about the victory.


   Judges 5:15 The princes of Issachar were with Deborah and Barak.
      They followed Barak, rushing into the valley.
   But in the tribe of Reuben
      there was great indecision.
 16 Why did you sit at home among the sheepfolds—
      to hear the shepherds whistle for their flocks?
   Yes, in the tribe of Reuben
      there was great indecision.
 17 Gilead remained east of the Jordan.
      And why did Dan stay home?
   Asher sat unmoved at the seashore,
      remaining in his harbors.
 18 But Zebulun risked his life,
      as did Naphtali, on the heights of the battlefield.


   
  The clans of  Reuben, Gilead, Dan and Asher are getting called out for not taking up arms and joining their brothers in battle. I went back and looked at chapter 4 where Deborah tells Barak what the Lord says “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, commands you: Call out 10,000 warriors from the tribes of Naphtali and Zebulun at Mount Tabor. 7 And I will call out Sisera, commander of Jabin’s army, along with his chariots and warriors, to the Kishon River. There I will give you victory over him.” It doesn't say anything about any tribes except for Naphtali and Zebulun. Apparently though, they were still expected to get off of their rears and help, even without the invitation to do so.

   All of that to say this, when the battle is over and we head "HOME" and the fight song is ringing out. What will be said about you? Did you sit at home because no one asked you to do anything or will you notice the work others are doing and get involved without an invitation to do so? I don't want to be remembered as someone who watched from the sidelines, I don't think there is a second string in the Kingdom.
  




0 comments:

Post a Comment